The Fire Element Guide
Fire Element in Nature
CARDINAL DIRECTION [SOUTH]
FIRE ELEMENT IN OUR BODIES
- ORGANS [HEART & PERICARDIUM] - As well as the yang organs Small Intestine & Triple Heater.
- SPIRIT [HOUSES THE 'SHEN'] - Consciousness Or the Mind.
- SENSE ORGAN [TONGUE]
- TISSUE [BLOOD VESSELS]
- SOUND/VOICE [LAUGHTER/RISING-FALLING]
- BODY TYPE [POINTED FEATURES, SMALL HANDS]
- COMPLEXION [FLUSH] - complexion can reflect health or be symptomatic.
- FACIAL AREAS [NOSE, CHEEKBONES, TONGUE TIP] - Also the Upper Lip - Small Intestine.
- PERSONALITY TYPE [QUICK, ENERGETIC]
- EMOTION [JOY]
- EMOTIONAL ADDICTION [to be in LOVE]
- SPIRITUAL FEAR [ISOLATION/Loneliness]
HEALTHY EXPRESSION OF FIRE ELEMENT
Expressed in our experience of Joy. Those who harbor enthusiasm and passion, while maintaining a tranquil & peaceful mind. Their complexion is radiant and rosy, their faces expressive, their eyes clear and beaming showing an attentive Shen (mind). Charismatic, Outward, expansive. Two classically listed physical characteristics belonging to the Fire Element are small hands, and pronounced or especially pointy facial features.
PATHOLOGICAL EXPRESSION OF FIRE ELEMENT
Mental & Emotional
- Palpitations & Chest Pain
- Poor Circulation / Complexion
- Spontaneous Sweating - especially palms and soles of feet
- Autoimmune Disorders (Triple Heater)
- Posture: Shoulders Rolled Forward (Protecting Heart)
- Tongue: Especially Pointy, Red Tip
- Nose: Cleft in Nose Cartilage
- Feelings of Gloom or Anxiety
- Restlessness, Mania, Excessive Laughing
- Mental & Physical Fatigue - "burnt out"
- Overactive, Listless, Poor Concentration
- Poor Long Term Memory
- Aphasia & Difficulty Speaking (Pericardium)
- Ability to Discern (Small Intestine)
- Problems Maintaining Boundaries (Pericardium)
Supporting your fire
- STIMULANTS [limit your Alcohol and Coffee intake]
- THERMAL DRINKS [Stoking Hot Beverages]
- COLD DRINKS/FOODS [Harm Fire & Digestive Function]
- EXCESS SPICES [Use Sparingly, can scatter the Mind]
- MUCUS FORMING FOODS [Dairy Products, Processed Sugars]
- TOO MANY RICH FOODS [Overly rich robust fatty / sugary foods]
- GRAINS [Maize, Popcorn, Amaranth, Quinoa]
- VEGETABLES [Asparagus, Brussel Sprouts, Chives, Endive, Okra, Scallion]
- FRUIT [Apricot, Guava, Strawberry, Persimmon, Peach, Cherry]
- SPICE [Chillis and Any Curry]
- NEUTRAL & WARMING FOODS [Aim to eat a meal that is warmed]
- BITTER FOODS [a little bitter can clear excess fire or increase circulation, too much bitter can impair sexual function and disturb the heart.
- BE MINDFUL OF INTERNAL DIALOGUES [Take note of harmful self talk, and depressive thoughts as they arise]
- MINDFULNESS MEDITATION [Help Calm and Center the Shen/Mind]
- REGULAR EXERCISE [Warms our fire and our bodies, aim to do exercise at least 3x week]
- QI GONG [Qi Gong Exercise for Clearing the Heart - see Qi Gong]
- ACUPRESSURE [Ht8 - Ht Qi, Ying Spring, 30 Seconds each side - see below]
- SCATTERED MIND [Limit activities that scatter your mind, such as Cell Phone use]
- OVERWORKING [Mentally & Physically]
- STRESS/TRAUMA [Create Boundaries & Respect Your Limits]
- TEMPERATE REGIONS [Avoid both extreme Cold or Heat, Dress appropriately and limit sun exposure]
- EXCESSIVE SWEATING [Avoid activity that induces excessive sweating; sweat is the hearts fluid and losing too much can be depleting.
ACUPRESSURE FOR FIRE ELEMENT [HT.08]
- Treatment: Heart8 | Shao Fu | Lesser Mansion. - This point is indicated for a heart Qi deficiency, but can also be used to clear Heart heat.
- Locate Point: To locate this point simply curl your pinky finger in, where it lands is - Heart8 | Shao Fu | Lesser Mansion.
- Acupressure: Once located, press the thumb of your opposite hand into the point. Pressing this point, applying more pressure gradually, and start kneading in a clockwise motion.
- Duration: Knead point on both sides for about 30 seconds each, repeat once-twice daily.