METAL ELEMENT IN NATURE
CARDINAL DIRECTION [WEST]
METAL ELEMENT IN OUR BODIES
- ORGANS [LUNG & LARGE INTESTINE]
- SPIRIT [HOUSES THE 'PO'] - This least subtle of the spirits, the Po, is housed in the Lung. It's the part of the spirit that dies with our bodies, and expresses our more animal/immediate needs and dense desires.
- SENSE ORGAN [NOSE]
- SOUND/VOICE [CRYING]
- BODY TYPE [TRIANGULAR FEATURES, STRONG VOICE]
- COMPLEXION [YELLOW]
- FACIAL AREAS [JAWLINE & UPPER LIP]
- PERSONALITY [METICULOUS & POINTED]
- EMOTION [GRIEF/SADNESS]
- EMOTIONAL ADDICTION [to be in RIGHT]
- EMOTIONAL FEAR [to be CORRUPT]
HEALTHY EXPRESSION OF METAL ELEMENT
When the Metal Element is in harmony, their is a clear and strong ability to communicate and maintain boundaries. There is also a strong ability in letting go of pain, grief and sadness - an ability to 'roll with the punches'. In balance the Lung and Large intestine organs contribute to a healthy skin/complexion, abundant energy and strong respiratory function, immune function (known as wei qi), and healthy elimination/detox.
PATHOLOGICAL EXPRESSION OF METAL ELEMENT
Mental & Emotional
- Shortness of Breath, Cough, Phlegm
- Sore Throat / Loss of Voice
- Dry Cracked Lack Luster Skin / Complexion
- Poor Immune Function & Autoimmune Disease
- Constipation / IBS / Colitis
- Inherited Conditions
- Issues Maintaining Healthy Boundaries
- How we relate to Self and Other
- Inability to 'Let Go' or move past Emotional Trauma
SUPPORTING THE METAL ELEMENT
- STIMULANTS [limit or eliminate your Alcohol, Coffee, Cigarette intake]
- MUCUS FORMING FOODS [Dairy Products, Processed Sugars]
- PROCESSED FOODS [Contain chemicals which inhibit circulation and give the Lungs more to process]
- GRAINS [Rice]
- VEGETABLES [Navy Bean, Soy Bean, Almonds, Asparagus, Broccoli, Celery, Cucumber, Mustard Greens, Onion, Raddish, Garlic, Ginger, Horse Raddish, Cauliflower]
- FRUIT & LEGUMES [Apricot, Banana, Pear]
- WHITE FOODS [Eat first with your eyes, include some white on your plate to give your lungs/metal that extra boost.]
- MANAGE GRIEF [If you're dealing with grief create and seek out support systems, to help reconcile feelings and heal]
- QI GONG [Qi Gong Exercise for Clearing the Lung - see Qi Gong]
- BREATHING EXERCISES [see Pranayama]
- ACUPRESSURE [Lung8 - Moves Lung Qi - see below]
- STRAINING VOICE [Overusing or straining your voice can harm your metal/lungs ability to function smoothly]
- DRY CLIMATES [Dryness effects the Lungs/Metal, if you live in an apartment with heating or AC consider getting a humidifier]
- HOLDING ON TO PAIN [Be kind to yourself and try to make amends with any painful memories or losses you have suffered]
ACUPRESSURE FOR METAL element [LU.08]
- Treatment: Lung8 | Jing Chu | Channel Ditch is the Metal Point on the Lung Meridian, Tonifies Metal Element, Aids Breathing etc.
- Locate Point: To locate this point simply place your thumb on the inner portion of your wrist line; just outside that thumbs distance from the wristline is the point - Lung8 | Jing Chu | Channel Ditch.
- Acupressure: Once located, press the thumb of your opposite hand into the point. Pressing this point, applying more pressure gradually, and start kneading in a clockwise motion.
- Duration: Knead point on both sides for about 30 seconds each, repeat once-twice daily.