The Water Element Guide
WATER ELEMENT IN NATURE
CARDINAL DIRECTION [NORTH]
WATER ELEMENT IN OUR BODIES
- ORGANS [KIDNEY & URINARY BLADDER]
- SPIRIT [HOUSES THE 'ZHI'] - This spirit is housed in the Kidney, and contains our capacity to execute our Will.
- SENSE ORGAN [EARS]
- SOUND/VOICE [GROANING]
- BODY TYPE [ROUND FEATURES, STRONG DIGESTIONS]
- FACIAL AREAS [JAWLINE & UPPER LIP]
- PERSONALITY TYPE [LOYAL, ENJOY MOVEMENT]
- EMOTION [FEAR]
- EMOTIONAL ADDICTION
[to be PROTECTED]
- EMOTIONAL FEAR [to be NONEXISTANT]
HEALTHY EXPRESSION OF WATER ELEMENT
A healthy expression of Water in the body is an emotional outlook that is easy going, free moving, and always choosing a course of least resistance. The spirit of the Kidney/Water is the 'Zhi' Responsible for carrying out the intentions of the Yi (Spleen Spirit of Intellect) and the dreams of the Hun (Ehtereal Soul of the Liver), and the assessments of the Po (Animal Spirit of our body and the Lung). Water types are wise and as deep as the oceans, they relish in alone time, winters where they can re-cooperate. Water Types physically appear more round in shape.
PATHOLOGICAL EXPRESSION OF WATER ELEMENT
Mental & Emotional
- Low Back Pain & Knee Pain
- Sexual Function: Impotence, Low Libido
- Hearing Issues
- Tinnitus (low pitched ringing)
- Developmental Issues
- Spontaneous Sweating
- Hot Flashes / Night Sweats
- Feelings of Fear
- 'Flight or Fight' Mode
- Developmental Issues
- Weak Willed/Spirited
- Poor Memory
SUPPORTING THE WATER ELEMENT
- STIMULANTS [limit or eliminate Alcohol, Coffee, Cigarette intake]
- HORMONES IN MEATS [Excess Hormones can disrupt Liver Function]
- TOO MANY RICH FOODS [Overly rich robust fatty / sugary foods]
- GRAINS [Buckwheat, Rice]
- VEGETABLES [Aduki, Black, Kidney, Pinto Beans; Black Sesame; Kale; Mushroom; Seaweed; Water Chestnut]
- FRUIT & LEGUMES [Walnut; Mulberry, Pomegranate, Black Raspberry, Watermelon]
- SPICES [Cinnamon, Clove, Fenugreek, Anise]
- RESTORE [Make time for self-care, and quiet introspective pastimes like meditation]
- QI GONG [Qi Gong Exercise for Clearing the Kidney - see Qi Gong]
- ACUPRESSURE [Kidney10 - Water Point of Water Chanel, He Sea - see below]
- EXPOSING THE LOWER BACK [Exposing the lower back and kidneys to elements like cold can harm our internal fire (mingmen)]
- OVERWORKING [Burning the Candle at both ends stokes our internal fire too much; causing it to burn brighter, longer, and eventually become deficient. The Western Parallel to this would be Adrenal Fatigue.
- HARBORING FEAR [Work with your health care practitioner, mental health professionals, and support community to confront fears and express the Fearless Wisdom of Water].
ACUPRESSURE FOR WATER element [KD10]
- Treatment: KD10 | Yin Gu | Yin Valley - This is the Water Point of the Water Meridian, and tonifies the Element Water. Also a He Sea pt.
- Locate Point: To locate this point simply place your thumb on the inner side of your knee joint; palpate until your thumb is between the two tendons (semitendinosis and semimembranosus) this is - KD10 | Yin Gu | Yin Valley.
- Acupressure: Once located, press the thumb of your opposite hand into the point. Pressing this point, applying more pressure gradually, and start kneading in a clockwise motion.
- Duration: Knead point on both sides for about 30 seconds each, repeat once-twice daily.