The Wood Element Guide
WOOD ELEMENT IN NATURE
CARDINAL DIRECTION [EAST]
WOOD ELEMENT IN OUR BODIES
- ORGANS [LIVER & GALLBLADDER]
- SPIRIT [HOUSES THE 'HUN'] - Ethereal Soul which leaves our body at death; Organizes our Dreams, Responsible for our ability to live with Clarity, Vision, and purpose.
- SENSE ORGAN [EYES]
- TISSUE [LIGAMENTS & TENDONS]
- SOUND/VOICE [SHOUTING]
- BODY TYPE [TALL & SLENDER; STRONG BONES & JOINTS, STRONG EYEBROWS AND JAWLINE]
- COMPLEXION [GREEN]
- FACIAL AREAS [BETWEEN EYES]
- PERSONALITY TYPE [DETERMINED]
- EMOTION [ANGER]
- EMOTIONAL ADDICTION [to be in EXCITED]
- SPIRITUAL FEAR [to be HELPLESS]
HEALTHY EXPRESSION OF WOOD ELEMENT
Expressed in our ability to make decisions, Initiate change, and express ourselves emotionally. The Wood element is also responsible for circulation (of qi - via Liver); Physical Development (governs Sinews and Ligaments; Emotional Development (Houses the spirit/soul 'Hun' - the part of our being that carries on after we die. Liver types are known for their tenacity, expressiveness, flexibility, and overall gumption.
PATHOLOGICAL EXPRESSION OF WOOD ELEMENT
Mental & Emotional
- Headaches & Migraines
- Menstrual Issues & PMS
- Vision, Dry Eyes, Floaters
- Poor circulation
- Muscle Spasms
- Cold Hands & Feet
- Tinnitus (Ringing in Ear)
- Feeling Frustrated Regularly
- Lack of Motivation / Initiative
- Angry Outbursts
- Daydreaming / Dreamer with little grounding
SUPPORTING YOUR WOOD ELEMENT
- STIMULANTS [limit or eliminateyour Alcohol, Coffee, Cigarette intake]
- HORMONES IN MEATS [Excess Hormones can disrupt Liver Function]
- MUCUS FORMING FOODS [Dairy Products, Processed Sugars]
- TOO MANY RICH FOODS [Overly rich robust fatty / sugary foods]
- PROCESSED FOODS [Contain chemicals which inhibit cirulation]
- OVEREATING [Try to eat Smaller Meals more frequently]
- LATE NIGHT EATING [At night your blood goes to the Liver to be cleaned, avoid overloading it with meals during this time]
- GRAINS [Rye, Quinoa]
- VEGETABLES [Onion Family, Mustard Greens, Romaine Lettuce, Arugula, Green Lentil, Mung Bean, Lima Bean, Green Bell Pepper, Green peas, Zucchini, String Beam, ]
- FRUIT & LEGUMES [Lemon, Lime, Grapefruit, Avocado, Plum, Brazil and Cashew Nut]
- SPICE [Bay Leaf, Basil, Cumin, Fennel, Mint, Dendelion]
- SOUR FOODS [a little sour can clear stagnant liver qi and increase circulation, too much sour can cause issues in vision]
- SUPPORT SYSTEM [The Liver's Qi is easily harmed by emotions like stress, anger and frustration. Create network of people who are supportive that you can confide in when upset or give free-thought journaling a try.]
- MINDFULNESS MEDITATION [Calms the Liver/and Mind, reduces]
- REGULAR EXERCISE [Improves circulation of Liver Qi & Blood, aim to do exercise at least 3x week]
- QI GONG [Qi Gong Exercise for Clearing the Liver - see Qi Gong]
- ACUPRESSURE [Liver3 - Moves stagnant Liver Qi, Shu Stream, 30 Seconds each side - see below]
- HARBORING ANGER [The liver is directly affected by holding unprocessed feelings of anger. Don't "take the poison expecting the other person to die"; anger is a poison to our being, do not hold on to it, finding supportive friends or other outlets like journaling can help 'move' that Anger and the Liver Qi once it has stagnated.
- STRESS/TRAUMA [Create Habits of self care; Establish personal boundaries and limits; Avoid and manage chronic stress]
- INFLEXIBILITY [The wood Element and Liver likes to feel free, that it has options that is upward rooted]
ACUPRESSURE FOR WOOD ELEMENT [LV.03]
- Treatment: Acupuncture Point Liver3 | Tai Chong | Supreme Surge - This point is indicated for a Liver Qi stagnation, but can also be used for other issues.
- Locate Point: To locate this point simply place your index finger or thumb on the top of the foot; find the groove between the big toe and second toe, palpate to find the point that feels most tender; this is - Liver3 | Tai Chong | Supreme Surge.
- Acupressure: Once located, press the thumb of your opposite hand into the point. Pressing this point, applying more pressure gradually, and start kneading in a clockwise motion.
- Duration: Knead point on both sides for about 30 seconds each, repeat once-twice daily.